Tuesday 4 November 2008

Still in hospital

I must figure out some way of uploading pictures to this computer - have got to get someone to find the relevant cables and software so that I can do that. For now I am still at Peter Mac. I had another blood transfusion yesterday, two more units to try to bring up my blood levels, particularly the haemoglobins (Hbs) which had dropped below 80 again. For those who don't know the Hbs are the red blood cells, and they carry the oxygen around your body. They should be around 150 (I think) but my levels are not unsafe, just not ideal for someone who wants to start chemo. They can certainly drop a whole lot lower before it starts to be a problem, so yesterday's transfusion, as I understand it, was more of a preventative than a 'oh gosh we have to fix this' thing.
Had my radiotherapy planning session yesterday. I'll be having one dose directly to the left hip to help strengthen the bones and erradicate the cancer that is weakening them around that break. I'll also be having a dose to my L2, while we're down there ;) to help annihilate that growth, and certainly to prevent that from growing any bigger and becoming symptomatic. Then I have five intensive sessions of radiotherapy to my brain; a total of 20 grade radio. This is all set to start on Thursday, with sessions booked for Friday and Saturday, so that could POSSIBLY be finished by Tuesday. I have no idea if I'll be doing chemo before or after that, but because today is a public holiday in Victoria (Melbourne Cup Day) I would think chemo will start late next week. I was not happy about delaying chemo yet again, but if we're starting then I'm okay with that. I'll certainly be trying to find out what I can today.
Off to go check out the pretty horses for Cup Day, sending this with my love and thanks for all your support.
(Oh, and on a side note - THIS time I have a tote in here and have actually been scrappping. It's the first time I have brought supplies into the hospital because I haven't really had stuff packed in the past, but at least I get to play a little. I don't have to the photos I really want, but I an scrap with whatever if I must ;)

7 comments:

Kate said...

aw that delays suck dee, im sure you just want to get in there and get moving with the treatment. im glad you have a packed tote there with you, im sure you will produce lots of great pages :D hope pickle and dane are well. mwah sending you lots of love xo

Anonymous said...

nice to hear you have your tote with you to scrap a little,

thinking of you and your family

karen Haywood

Anonymous said...

Dee, have been thinking of you over the months and also pray that you will get your miracle!

Christian love
Steph M (Grannie Sam)

KarenB said...

How cool that you are up to some scrapping, despite the delays and frustrations. Sending you my very best wishes xx

Anonymous said...

Hi Dee,
Received your mail, and have passed the information on to the Nortii girls.

Hugs to you from the west..

Figgy aka Carmel

Rocky said...

Nortii girl reporting in for duty.

Lots of love and well wishes to you and your family.

xox

mum2three said...

Hi Dee,
It's Sharon here from SS...gee so much has happened since we met up in August.I have been following the updates and news that has been trickling through from SS.I just wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you at such a challenging time in your life.I am sure that your strength and courage will help you though your journey.Love to you and your gorgeous kids xoxoxoxoxooxoxo